S.S. Helvetia, 1864
The HELVETIA was a 3,318 gross ton ship, built in 1864 by Palmer Bros & Co, Jarrow-on-Tyne for the National Steam Navigation Company of Liverpool. Her details were - length 371.5ft x beam 41.2ft, clipper stem, one funnel, three masts (rigged for sail), iron construction, single screw and a speed of 10 knots.
Launched on November 16, 1864, she sailed from Liverpool on her maiden voyage to Queenstown (Cobh) and New York on March 28, 1865. She started her last voyage on this service on December 25, 1871 and on July 11, 1871 commenced London - Havre - New York sailings. Rebuilt to 3,982 gross tons in 1872 and fitted with compound engines by J.Penn & Sons, London in 1873-4, she resumed Liverpool - Queenstown - New York voyages on Oct. 14, 1874. In 1877 she was lengthened to 419ft, 4,588 tons, saloon cabins rebuilt amidships, and with accommodation for 72-1st and 1,200-3rd class passengers.
From 1877 to 1886 she continued on the Liverpool to New York service, and from 1886 to 1891 was used from either Liverpool or London to New York. Her last Liverpool - Queenstown - New York sailing started on March 26, 1891 and she resumed London - New York sailings on Aug. 6, 1891.
On Sep. 8, 1892 she started her last voyage on this service and in 1893 was sold to French owners. She was abandoned and lost off Cape Finisterre in April 1894, while on voyage to shipbreakers. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.612]